Sunday, December 27, 2009

Walking on glass

It's two hours after midnight, two days after Christmas. I've just created this blog and am already experiencing 'bloggers block'. I'm confused... after all, what is correct blog etiquette? I posted a quick note (a blog post I suppose) about trying to come up with a name and web address for the blog and falling short. When am I supposed to post again?
Well I'm not sure what television show is on in the background right now but I just caught the end of a highlight about the Willis Tower in Chicago (formerly the Sears tower) and their new SkyDeck Ledge. Apparently the SkyDeck was a popular tourist attraction already, offering 50 mile views from the 103rd floor (1,353 feet up) of the Willis building, but in June of this year they've added four glass 'ledges' (more like boxes) that protrude from the building 4.3 feet so visitors can look straight down for never before seen views of the windy city. Apparently to get a similar view before the renovation you had to press your forehead against the glass which left a greasy situation for the person after you.
At first I wasn't impressed as it quickly reminded me of a similar attraction I had seen on TV a couple years ago. That one is a glass bottom 'Skywalk' that protrudes 66' out over the edge of a part of the Grand Canyon. To me, not having a roof and extending out much further, the Grand Canyon Skywalk was already favored if I was going to spend any of my vacation money. But after a closer look at the Chicago exhibit (and a few YouTube videos), I just may crack and consider the one at the Willis Tower also (pun intended). After all, these really are two totally different experiences as one overlooks one of the most beautiful, serene and yet well known American National Parks and the other offers a unique view of an equally well known, fast paced (dare I say average?) American city.
I just hope that the glass used at the Willis Tower is bullet proof after looking at some of the mugshots posted in the Chicago Tribune. The fact that the Tribune even has a section dedicated to these titled Mugs in The News with over 205 photos in two months is a little disturbing in itself. Here are a few that weren't the necessarily the scariest looking of the bunch but caught my eye:


What is he wearing? More like what events took place before this picture?

Defendant: Heber Gomez

(Chicago Police Department photo / December 6, 2009)
Charge: Child endangerment and possession of a controlled substance


I think she may enjoy Coke, just not necessarily the soda...

Defendant: Nicole Zarei

(Chicago Police Department photo / December 6, 2009)
Charge: Child endangerment and possession of a controlled substance


He should have been charged with possession (or being possessed):

Defendant: Jose Pesantez

(Chicago Police Department photo / November 11, 2009)
Charge: Aggravated battery with a firearm


I had to leave you with at least one somewhat disturbing mugshot:

Defendant: Kaushik Patel

(DuPage County Sheriff's Office 2008 photo / November 18, 2009)
Charges: Two first-degree murders


You know, on second thought I may just return to Niagara Falls and take a ride on the classic glass bottom boat The Maid of The Mist. After all, that was good enough for Marilyn Monroe.

1 comment: